Saturday 1 August 2009

Mehndi

I was thinking about the world body painting festival and it kind of reminded me of a Hindu tradition called Mehndi. Mehndi uses henna paste as temporary paint and is applied on various occasions including weddings, Diwali and family get togethers. Henna is a flowering plant that is used for Mehndi as body art, but can also be used as a hair dye. Once applied, the henna stains the skin within a few moments and gradually develops a reddy-brownish colour until it hits its peak, then it begins to fade. One coat lasts about 7-10 days.

I’ve not seen the paint being applied myself but some of the outcomes are very intricate and detailed, and the fact that the paint develops a variety of shades throughout its life means it looks different at different times. This is what I believe separates itself from a tattoo, and the obvious fact that it’s not permanent!

The art of Mehndi has been around for years and I think it takes a lot of creativity to draw these diverse designs, along with talent and years of practice. When I’ve seen Mehndi at weddings and Hindu festivals I’ve never had the chance to look closely at the designs, but when Diwali comes around again [which is soon] I’ll try to watch some being applied and keep track of the colour changes.
*Photograph from www.nishamehndi.co.uk

No comments: