Thursday 16 July 2009

Bolton's Got Talent

Whilst browsing through the Bolton News last week I saw that Bolton University were hosting an art exhibition entitled 'Bolton's Got Talent'. The exhibition was used to display the best A Level and GCSE artwork from local schools including Canon Slade, Bolton School and Smithills etc. I thought visiting the exhibition would be a good opportunity to see the standard of work coming from schools these days, and I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised! The quality of work was amazing, and some of the concepts along with the various mediums used were brilliant. The different ideas and techniques that I saw were good to see in such young people, and I could see that many of them were not constrained to boundaries that more experienced designers are. Not only were the ideas fresh and innocent, but some of the drawing and fine art abilities were top class. Particularly the pastel drawing of the Joker from one of my favourite films Batman: The Dark Knight.














These graphic artist skills show real potential, and it doesn't stop at that. I saw some brilliant scumbles and a textiles project that really caught my eye, where the pupil had created food for a tea party totally out of textile materials. At first glance I thought it was real food but after a closer look I could see how different materials had been used to make food. It was clear how much detail and effort had been put in to make the cakes and chocolates etc. look genuine.



























The skills that these young people have show real potential, and hopefully they'll get the grades they deserve. It is good to see that art and design is still booming and that ideas and design work are improving all the time. During my own school time, the standard of work was nowhere near this level so who knows where it will be in 5 years time!

No comments: