Saturday 18 July 2009

Blackrod Scarecrow Festival 2009

I know it was a while ago, but on the weekend of the 4th July, I decided to finish work early and visit the annual scarecrow festival in Blackrod which my work mates were talking about.

Others did not think much of the event and didn't seem that interested to be honest but I just thought I'd check it out and see for myself. Obviously the idea was about having fun for the people making the scarecrows, and for the public enjoying the event. It attracted a great deal of visitors and let people show off their skills too!

The scarecrow above, Liam Gallagher, was a major highlight of the event because it looked just like him! I'm not sure what materials were used to create the scarecrow but I loved the attention to detail they had put in, particularly the Stella can by his right foot! It kind of reminded me of the wax models that are in the Blackpool Waxwork Museum so it maybe worth a visit.

Unfortunately I only caught the event nearing the end, and it was beginning to rain so many scarecrows had been taken down. However I did a little research online and saw some other photos that shows how good some of the scarecrows were. The techniques and media used to create the scarecrows were all different, along with the way the creators dressed and styled them. There didn't seem to be two of the same character so it was good to see that people were being creative when thinking of who to base there scarecrow on. Enjoy!




















No comments: